- BS, 2018 - Neuroscience and Cognitive Science (NSCS), Molecular and Cellular Biology - University of Arizona
- MS, 2022 - Optical Sciences - University of Arizona
Colin Potter joined the UA MSTP in 2018 to pursue his MD and PhD in Optical Sciences after recieving a BS in Neuroscience and Cognitive Science and in Molecular and Cellular Biology from UA. In undergraduate school, he completed his Honors Thesis with Dr. Anita Koshy studying the interaction of Toxoplasma gondii, and obligate intracellular partasite, with the central nervous systems of mice. Unexpectedly, these experiences sparked Colin's curiosity for engineering and optics more than for biological and biomedical research, and led to him pursue his PhD in Optical Sciences. Widely considered to be one of the best Optics programs in the world, UA was the ideal place for Colin to continue his education and has enabled him to build his experience in this new field from the ground up. His current research for his doctoral thesis is to develop and implement a novel biosensor for detecting biomarkers of disease. Colin's current goals are to increase the breadth and depth of his knowledge in Biology, Medicine, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, and Optics so that he is poised to introduce meaningful and transformative inventions and technological innovations to healthcare. The pursuit of this knowledge and expertise has enabled Colin recieve an additional MS in Optical Sciences due to the coursework he has taken on the way to his PhD. Colin is looking forward to completing the rest of his program and starting his career as a physican scientist and engineer.
- NIH T32: Arizona Translational Research in Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias (T32AG061897). 2020-2021.
- Potter, C. J.; Hu, Y.; Xiong, Z.; Wang, J.; McLeod, E. Point-of-Care SARS-CoV-2 Sensing Using Lens-Free Imaging and a Deep Learning-Assisted Quantitative Agglutination Assay. ChemRxiv 2022, [Preprint]. https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv-2022-dwhvx.
- Xiong, Z.; Potter, C. J.; McLeod, E. High-Speed Lens-Free Holographic Sensing of Protein Molecules Using Quantitative Agglutination Assays. ACS Sens. 2021, 6 (3), 1208–1217. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssensors.0c02481 PMC8259606.
- Potter, C. J.; McLeod, E.; How COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests Work. Nanoscientific 2020, 19, 6-8.
- Mendez, O.A.*; Potter, C.J.*; Valdez, M.; Bello, T; Trouard, T.P.; Koshy, A.A. Semi-automated quantification and neuroanatomical mapping of heterogeneous cell populations. J Neurosci Methods 2018; 305, 98-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2018.05.008 PMC6357967.
*These authors contributed equally
- Potter, C. J.; Xiong, Z.; McLeod, E. Application of Lens-Free Quantitative Large-Area Agglutination Assay to Inflammatory disease and SARS-CoV-2. SPIE Photonics West, 2022. San Francisco, CA.
- Potter, C. J.; Xiong, Z.; McLeod, E. Quantitative Large-Area Agglutination Assay Sensing of Protein Molecules in Solution. Session: Quantitative Phase Imaging and Mechanics. OSA Biophotonics Congress: Optics in the Life Sciences, 2021. Virtual.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Koshy, A.A. Defining regional and neural subtype specificity in Toxoplasma gondii infection. Society for Neuroscience Annual Conference; 2017 Nov 15; Washington, DC.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Bello, T.; Valdez, M.; Fernandez, E.; Trouard, T.; Koshy, A.A. Semi-automated quantification of Toxoplasma – CNS host cell interactions. Undergraduate Biology Research Program Annual Conference; 2017 Jan 21; Tucson, AZ.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Bello, T.; Valdez, M.; Fernandez, E.; Trouard, T.; Koshy, A.A. Semi-automated quantification of Toxoplasma – CNS host cell interactions. Society for Neuroscience Annual Conference; 2016 Nov 14; San Diego, CA.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Bello, T.; Valdez, M.; Fernandez, E.; Trouard, T.; Koshy, A.A. Toxoplasma gondii – Neuron Interaction in the Central Nervous System. UA Student Showcase; 2016 Feb 24; Tucson, AZ.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Bello, T.; Valdez, M.; Fernandez, E.; Trouard, T.; Koshy, A.A. Toxoplasma gondii – Neuron Interaction in the Central Nervous System. Undergraduate Biology Research Program Annual Conference; 2016 Jan 23; Tucson, AZ.
- Potter, C.J.; Mendez, O.; Valdez, M.; Fernandez, E.; Trouard, T.; Koshy, A.A. Characterizing the Localization of Toxoplasma gondii Infection in the Central Nervous System. NSCS Summer Research Program Poster Session; 2015 Aug 20; Tucson, AZ.