University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, May 2014 B.S. Biology – Cell Biology Concentration Minor in Chemistry Minor in Japanese Language & Culture
I grew up in Kansas City, Kansas always wanting to be a physician, and later developed a second passion for research while working as an Undergraduate Research Assistant at the University of Kansas. Outside of science and medicine I have kept up a few unique hobbies, such as bowling and drawing. I started bowling on leagues in elementary school, and have been drawing ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil. Another significant interest of mine is in the language and culture of Japan. Over the past ten years, I’ve studied Japanese through a mix of self-instruction and coursework. During college, I took the incredible opportunity to study abroad in Tokyo for a semester. These experiences have proven to be useful and exciting in many ways, and further lead me to develop a passion for learning about other languages and cultures. The disciplines of science and medicine are incredibly diverse, so I hope my studies help me become a more compassionate, well-rounded physician scientist who can make strong contributions to this international field.
- Presidential recognition for volunteer efforts as a Certified Application Counselor, 2016
- Departmental Honors in Biology, University of Kansas, 2014
- University of Kansas Honors Program, 2014
- Undergraduate Research Award, University of Kansas, 2013
- Office of Study Abroad Scholarship, University of Kansas, 2013
- Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Scholarship, 2013
- Freshman Academic Scholarship, University of Kansas, 2010
Ragkousi K, Marr K, McKinney S, Ellington L, Gibson MC. Cell-Cycle-Coupled Oscillations in Apical Polarity and Intercellular Contact Maintain Order in Embryonic Epithelia. Curr Biol. 2017 May 8;27(9):1381-1386. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2017.03.064. Epub 2017 Apr 27. PubMed PMID: 28457868.
Erwin AA, Galdos MA, Wickersheim ML, Harrison CC, Marr KD, Colicchio JM, Blumenstiel JP. piRNAs Are Associated with Diverse Transgenerational Effects on Gene and Transposon Expression in a Hybrid Dysgenic Syndrome of D. virilis. PLoS Genet. 2015 Aug 4;11(8):e1005332. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005332. eCollection 2015 Aug 4. PubMed PMID: 26241928; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4524669
- Kendra Marr; Alyssa Padilla, Eric Lander, Jaymus Lee, Daniel Derksen. “Students Helping Arizona Register Everyone (SHARE): A program to register Ariona communities in the ACA Marketplace”. Oral Presentation at Lead Serve Lead 2017: The AAMC Annual Meeting in Boston, MA. 04 November 2017
Marr, K.D., Ramanathan, S.P., and Gibson, M.C. (2015, April 17). Role of TOR signaling in controlling epithelial junctions. Poster presentation at The Stowers Institute for Medical Research Young Invesigator Retreat.
Marr, K.D. (2014, May 10). Factors Influencing Eggshell Defects in a Strain of Drosophila virilis that Carries a High Transposon Load. Oral thesis defense at The University of Kansas Biology Honors Symposium. Marr, K.D. (2014, April 26). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Factors Influencing Eggshell Defects in a Strain of Drosophila virilis that Carries a High Transposon Load. Oral presentation at The University of Kansas Undergraduate Research Symposium.
Marr, K.D. (2014, April 26). The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Factors Influencing Eggshell Defects in a Strain of Drosophila virilis that Carries a High Transposon Load. Oral presentation at The University of Kansas Undergraduate Research Symposium