- BS, University of Arizona, Physiological Sciences, 2006
- PhD, University of Arizona, Physiological Sciences, 2010
- MD, University of Arizona, 2012
One emerging treatment for the resurfacing of cartilage lesions in the knee utilizes adipose derived stem cells in combination with polymer scaffolds that can be used to anchor those cells in the area of interest. One important requirement in this process is bone ingrowth into the polymer scaffold to provide a stable base for the cells. To promote bone ingrowth, the internal architecture of the scaffold was modeled after trabecular bone. This was shown to significantly increase bone growth compared to scaffolds with a simple porous architecture. An additional feature of these implants was the ability to manufacture them with load sensors such that direct in vivo loading information could be collected from the knee joint. This information will subsequently be used to optimize rehabilitation protocols and ensure that the stem cells are not overloaded during physical activity.
Van Winkle Award, 2008
- Geffre CP, Pond GD, Sroka IC, Pawar SC, Gard JM, Skovan BA, Meed WE, Bowman BE, Jeffery JJ, Landowski TH, Nagle RB, Cress AE. Rapid Evaluation of skeletal metastasis in live animals by micro CT, image matched histopathology and the retrieval of metastatic cell. Nature Protocols 2012; in review
- Wild JR, Askam BM, Margolis DS, Geffre CP, Krupinski EA, Truchan LM. Biomechanical Evaluation of Suture-Augmented Locking Plate Fixation for Proximal Third Fractures of the Olecranon. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 22430521
- Gonzales, DA, Ferng AS, Geffre CP, Borg JL, Miller M, Szivek JA. Mechanical Loading of Adipose Derived Stromal Cells Causes Cell Alignment. J Biomedical Science and Engineering 2011; 4(5): 355-359
- Szivek JA, Bliss CL, Geffre CP, Margolis DS, DeYoung DW, Ruth JT, Schnepp AB, Tellis BC, Vaidyanathan RK. An instrumented scaffold can monitor loading in the knee joint.
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2006 Nov;79(2):218-28. PMID: 16637034
- Geffre CP, Bliss CL, Szivek JA, Deyoung DW, Ruth JT, Margolis DS. Sensate scaffolds coupled to telemetry can monitor in vivo loading from within a joint over extended periods of time. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2008 Jan; 84(1):263-270. PMID: 17557310
- Szivek JA, Nandakumar V, Geffre CP, Townsend C. A handheld computer as part of a portable in vivo knee joint monitoring system. J Med Device. 2008 Sep 1;2(3):350011-350019. PMID: 19789715
- Geffre CP, Margolis DS, Ruth JT, DeYoung DW, Tellis BT, Szivek JA. A novel biomimetic polymer scaffold design enhances bone ingrowth. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2009 Dec;91(3):795-805. PMID: 19051300
- Jimenez-Andrade JM, Mantyh WG, Bloom AP, Ferng AS, Geffre CP, Mantyh PW. Bone cancer pain. Ann NY Acad Sci 2010 Jun;1198:173-81. PMID: 20536932
- Geffre CP, Ochoa J, Margolis DS, Szivek JA. Evaluation of the osteogenic performance of calcium phosphate-chitosan bone fillers. J Invest Surg. 2010 Jun;23(3):134-41. PMID: 20590384
- Geffre CP, Finkbone PR, Bliss CL, Margolis DS, Szivek JA. Load measurement accuracy from sensate scaffolds with and without a cartilage surface. J Invest Surg. 2010 Jun;23(3):156-62. PMID: 20590387
Presentations and Abstracts (outside the University of Arizona):
- Szivek JA, Bliss CL, Geffre CP, Margolis DS, DeYoung DW, Ruth JT, Schnepp AB, Tellis B, Vaidyanathan RK. Porous polybutylene terephthalate implants allow for bone ingrowth and provide a well anchored scaffold that can be used to deliver tissue-engineered cartilage. J of Investigative Surgery, 54(1):S116, 2006. Western Federation for Medical Research, Carmel, CA. 2006
- Geffre CP, Szivek JA, Bliss CL, Margolis DS, Ruth JT, DeYoung DW. In Vivo Load Measurements Collected Using a Scaffold Predicts Bone Ingrowth. Academy of Surgical Research 2006.
- Szivek JA, Geffre CP, Bliss CL, Margolis DS, Ruth JT, DeYoung DW. Long Term In Vivo Load Measurements During Gait Can Monitor Healing. Orthopaedic Research Society 2007.
- Margolis DS, Szivek JA, Tellis B, Geffre CP, Grana WA, Lai LW, Lien YH. Sensate Segmental Bone Replacement Implants Provide a Method To Monitor Bone Loading In Mouse Femora. Orthopaedic Research Society 2007.
- Szivek JA, Ochoa J, Geffre CP, Margolis DS, DeYoung DW, Ruth JT. Purified Chitosan Bone Fillers Increase Bone Formation Rates in Bone Defects. Society of Biomaterials 2007.
- Margolis DS, Geffre CP, Szivek JA, Ruth JT. Sensate PBT Scaffolds Measure Changes in Joint Loading and Drug Efficacy Following ACL Transection to Induce Osteoarthritis. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008.
- Margolis DS, Geffre CP, Szivek JA, Grana WA, Lai LW, Lien YH. In Vivo Bone Strain Measurements Collected from Mouse Femora using CPC Coated Strain Gauges. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008.
- Geffre CP, Margolis DS, Szivek JA, Ruth JT, Tellis B. PBT Scaffolds with a Biomimetic Trabecular Porous Architecture Accelerates Bone Growth into Scaffold Pores. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008.
- Szivek JA, Geffre CP, Montague M, Gainer C, Cadena H, Takenishi G. An Implantable Biomimetic Joint Specific ‘Sensate’ Scaffold Measures Loading in Joints. Orthopaedic Research Society. Las Vegas, NV 2009.
- Geffre CP, Margolis DS, Szivek JA. Determining the Subjectivity of Gait Analysis Measurements Collected from an Implantable ‘Sensate’ Scaffold. Orthopaedic Research Society. Las Vegas, NV 2009.
- Geffre CP, Hillman ZL, Margolis DS, Szivek JA. Monitoring Load with Segmental Bone Replacements during Repetitive Impact Loading. Society of Biomaterials. San Antonio, TX 2009.
- Margolis DS, Vardanyan A, Geffre CP, Szivek JA, Lai LW, Lien YH, Porecca F, King T. Long Term Morphine Treatment Accelerates Sarcoma Induced Osteolysis. Orthopaedic Research Society. New Orleans, LA 2010.
- Geffre CP, Margolis DS, Gonzales DA, Ruth JT, Szivek JA. In Vivo Shear Load Monitoring. Orthopaedic Research Society. New Orleans, LA 2010.
- Geffre CP, Wang S, Szivek JA. Automated Gait Analysis Software for In Vivo Joint Load Monitoring. Orthopaedic Research Society. New Orleans, LA 2010.
- Szivek JA, Geffre CP, Marini MJ, Heden GJ, Sante Cruz PA. A biomimetic sensate uni-condylar replacement scaffold for knee joint resurfacing. Society of Biomaterials. Seattle, WA 2010.